To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our residents' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

Frequently Asked Questions

Village Hall

What hours is City Hall open?

Village Hall is open from 9am to 1pm Monday through Thursday.


May I burn trash and leaves inside the city limits?

No, it is against Nebraska state law to burn anything in the open either IN city limits or OUT of city limits.  There is a Duncan Village Ordinance that forbids the burning of any trashe, brush or refuse within city limits as well.  Please contact the Village or Fire Chief if you have any questions.

Do I need a permit to replace or add a fence?

Yes.  You need to fill out a zoning permit for just about anything you may build or add to your property.  If a storm blows your fence down, you still need a zoning permit to replace the old fence.  This is to be sure that the original was placed with the correct and up to date setbacks.  The same goes for a shed or other structure that may have been damaged and is being replaced.

Can I come to a meeting?

Yes.  The Village meetings are entirely open to the public.  We encourage residents to attend any of the monthly or special meetings that the Village has.  We post agendas for every meeting.  If you would like to be on the agenda, you must notify the office at least a week ahead of the meeting.  If you want to come and just listen, you are welcome to do that.  If you have a problem you want to make the Board aware of, that is fine.  But, please know that, unless the issue is on the agenda, the Board cannot discuss or decide anything about that issue.  

Application Process

I am interested in applying for a job with the Village of Duncan, what do I do?

You will need to fill out an application if available.  Please ensure you meet the qualifications for the position you wish to be considered for.  If you would like to include a resume, simply attach it to the completed application. You may mail or drop off the application at City Hall.  Interviews will be scheduled accordingly.

Does the Village of Duncan hire part time employees?

Yes, we do hire part time employees.  Availability of these positions will be posted here when available.

Zoning Permits & Inspections

What is the process for getting a zoning permit?

Take a moment to read all required information provided. Then print and fill out the zoning permit application form and return to the Village office with the required fee payment.  Once the Zoning Administrator receives both the application and fee payment, he will review the application and the site of construction.  He may call you to clarify any questions.  He will then fill out the portion at the end of the application as to whether or not the application is approved.  He will provide you with a copy of the approval/disapproval.  Please DO NOT begin construction until you receive an approved application form from the Zoning Administrator.  If construction begins prior to approval, it is possible that you would be required to remove anything built.   Should you have any additional questions, please feel free to give us a call or send us an email.  We will be happy to help you.

Who can I talk to about permits or questions regarding Planning & Zoning?

Please call Don Reves (Zoning Administrator) at 402-270-4232

Sanitation & Recycling

What sanitation companies provide garbage pick up service to Duncan?

  • U&I Sanitation - 402-563-2220
  • ACE Sanitation - 402-564-4397

Water Utilities

How could I have used this much water?

You may not have - the numbers on your meter may have been transposed or hard to read. You could possibly have a leaky toilet or faucet that's difficult to detect. Just call the office and we'll work with you to solve the problem.

My bill is past due can I get an extension?

Please contact our office and our clerk will work with you to come up with a plan to take care of your account.  If you don't call, she cannot help you.

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

Check your meter and the surrounding area for possible leaks. Next, call our office and report low pressure for your area.

Why do I have a previous balance when I know I sent in my payment?

We may have received it after the due date or we may not have received it at all. Call our office and we will help you solve the problem.

Why is my water discolored?

A repair could have been completed recently allowing air to enter the line, causing the milky look.

New Resident Resources

How do I sign up to receive Alerts and News & Notices?

Simply click the "Sign Up for Alerts" button located ……fill out the brief form with your preferred contact information and click submit

Where do I go to vote?

All elections are conducted by the Platte County Electioner at the Village of Duncan.   Please visit the Platte County Electioner page for locations and upcoming election information.